Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

At 3:25 PM +0800 8/13/00, James Seng wrote:
>However, as I mention in the WG meeting, I like to point out what
>codepoint we put on this list would be sensitive as you can shrew it for
>other uses. (e.g. if we place '&' on the list, AT&T.COM will be
>equivalent to ATT.COM)

We are taking about making alphabetic characters that are considered
optional in user's languages optional. The example you give here is a
punctuation mark that would not be considered optional under any
circumstances. I trust that this group can keep the list focused to
the need at hand.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium