Re: [idn] hostnames

At 1:11 AM +1000 8/3/00, Mark.Andrews@nominum.com wrote:
>	* The syntax of hostnames is defined in RFC 952.
>	* RFC 103[45] does NOT define hostname syntax.
>	* domain names labels are *binary* length tagged strings.
>	* host names are restricted to 'A'-'Z' 'a'-'z' '0'-'9' '-' and '.'
>
>	A lot of drafts keep miss using the term domain name when
>	they actually mean host name based on the context.

When I have been talking about 1035, I have been talking about:

2.3.1. Preferred name syntax

That section talks about domain names, but gives rules that say what
you say above.

FWIW, we are not talking about host names that contain ".". We are
talking about host name parts. I think...

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium