Re: [idn] Using the last DNS header bit

Dan Oscarsson wrote:
> draft-ietf-dnsext-iana-dns-01.txt says that it is believed that current DNS
> implementations ignore this bit.

What the protocol specific and what was been implemented/deployed out
there now are not the same, unfortunately.

> Using EDNS gives an unacceptable overhead as older servers will
> give an error response when using it. That is why the flag is needed

EDNS is another safe way to introduce 8-bit characters into DNS packet.
Whether this is acceptable or not depend on many condition, including if
it is technically feasible to be deploy.

> in the normal header. One can question why DNSSEC were allowed to
> use up two of the three unused bits, DNSSEC could have used EDNS?
> Considering that I have no doubt that IDNs are by far much more
> important for most people on the planet, than DNSSEC.

DNSSEC & IDN are two separate issue. DNSSEC is important so we will
havea secure distribution channel to send IDN, PKIX etc

-James Seng