RE: [idn] Preparation of Internationalized Host Names

At 13:05 08/07/00 , Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>Exactly my point. At present, we do *not* prohibit all punctuation. The only prohibited punctuation are characters are that are reserved or delimiters in URLs [RFC2396] and [RFC2732].

The above reads a bit ambiguously.  In an attempt to clarify:

- We prohibit punctuation characters that are prohibited at present
         in the DNS (including retaining the "hostname" restrictions),
         for compatibility reasons.
- We prohibit punctuation characters that are reserved or special
         in URLs for compatibility reasons.

         A suggestion would be that we examine whether any of the URN
specifications (URN != URL) have other restrictions that we
should add for compatibility reasons.

Ran
rja@inet.org