Re: [idn] Canonicalization: [28] through [31]

At 10:40 PM 6/26/00 +0800, James Seng wrote:
>Going thru old mails and realise I miss this out :)
>
>Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>> Given that we now have a good set of definitions and even a chart at
>> the beginning of the document, these three could be combined into one
>> simple one:
>>
>> If the protocol requires canonicalization, it should be done before
>> the request enters the DNS service interface.
>
>Since we have consensus on canonicalization, I suggest that the statement
>above to be rewritten as
>
>For canonicalization, the protocol MUST comform to Unicode Technical
Reference
>#21. It SHOULD be done before the request enters the DNS service interface.

I think this requires further discussion. Not necessarily true
canonicalization should be done on the client, IMO. Paul, can you explain
why you think it should? There are many implementation roadblocks with such
a requirement, I expect... Or perhaps I am misreading "before ... the DNS
service interface"?

Thanks,

Bill Semich
Bill Semich