Re: [idn] Canonicalization: [28] through [31]

At 11:31 AM -0400 6/26/00, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>  >It SHOULD be done before the request enters the
>>DNS service interface.
>
>To achieve interoperability, canonicalisation MUST be done at
>a single well-defined place in the DNS resolution process.  One
>could imagine either doing it in the client resolver or in
>the server.  Whichever place is selected, this must be
>really clearly specified for us to have global interoperability
>with the DNS protocol.

Fully agree.

>Your proposal appears to say it is in the DNS resolver client.

Not really. The requirements document has the following (editied for clarity):

+---------------+
| Application   |
+---------------+
       |  Application service interface
       |  For ex. GethostbyXXXX interface
+---------------+
| Resolver      |
       |     <-----   DNS service interface

"Before the DNS service interface" could mean "in the application" or
"in the resolver". I do not believe that this WG has come to
consensus on this. Thus, I very carefully worded my proposed sentence
to say that the canonicalization happens before the DNS service
interface, but to limit which of the two places it might be. The
protocol must pick one or the other, but it is too early to say which.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium