From: Russ Rolfe
Sent: Thu, June 15, 2000 8:46 AM
To: James Seng; Dan Oscarsson
Cc: idn@ops.ietf.org; Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca
Subject: RE: [idn] final rev of charter

James Senq wrote:
>Dan Oscarsson wrote:
>> I think we should be more aggressive in the time for Protocol RFC.
>> It ought to be possible to have first draft ready by Sep 00 and
>> final call Jan 01.
>
>I dont agreed on this. The current schedule gives us enough
>time to gather more proposals and to examine the merits of
>each one. I dont think we have all the proposal on the table
>yet. I believe there are more to come.

If we lived in a perfect world, I would agree with your statement, but we have to deal with the real world out there.  When the internet was more an academic property, we could take our time and look at all the possibilities, but the Internet is now driven by business.

People and businesses are asking for this now.  There is a need to be filled now.  This is an environment where one person's hesitation is another's opportunity.  IMHO, if we are not more aggressive in coming up with a standard, someone else will implement something that will become the defacto standard, or many implementations will arise and then we will need to try to make them all work with each other.

This does not mean that we should jump into something with looking at all the ramifications, but that we should work for a middle ground that will give as a workable solution as aggressively as possible.

Regards, Russ (rrolfe)
The International Guy

> I think we should be more aggressive in the time for Protocol RFC.
> It ought to be possible to have first draft ready by Sep 00 and
> final call Jan 01.

I dont agreed on this. The current schedule gives us enough time to gather
more proposals and to examine the merits of each one. I dont think we have all
the proposal on the table yet. I believe there are more to come.

> Unless it should be something totally different
> from my draft (draft-oscarsson-i8ndns).

I wont like to make any assumption as to how the final protocol looks like
now.

Anyway, we would much prefer to stick to the original schedule.

-James Seng