Re: [idn] case folding

At 11:37 13.06.2000 +0900, GIM Gyeongseog-KIM Kyongsok wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> >
> > - The DNS service layer (the packet formats that go on the wire)
> >    MUST NOT limit the codepoints that can be used.
> >    This interface SHOULD NOT assign meaning to name strings.
> > - The application service layer, where "gethostbyname" and friends reside,
> >    MAY constrain the name strings to be used in certain services.
> >
> > The difference is important.
> >
> >                   Harald
>

>could you please elaborate this?

what part did you have trouble with?
note: this only make sense if you agree to the description in section 1.4
and 1.5 of our requirements document.

"gethostbyname" is a service, where the name used has a limited charset
(a-z, 0-9, dash, dot for component separation, case ignored).
It is implemented using DNS queries, but the DNS packets do not contain the
same name - they contain byte-counted octet strings, with no dots, and the
standards say that they can contain any octet value.

"gethostbyinternationalizeddomainname" is another service - a different one.
what we're debating is what characteristics this service needs to have.

                   Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no