Re: [idn] draft-dkjang-idn-00.txt

This is an interesting draft with some interesting ideas. However....

>In addition, I was informed that Jang has applied for a patent in Korea for
>this draft.

If the proposal has desirable features that we cannot find in any
other proposal, then the patent might not be a problem. However, the
IETF (and many other standards bodies) generally try to stay away
from protocols with patent dependencies in them so that the protocols
can be implemented freely. For something as important as
internationalized domain names, this is especially salient.

At the very least, the draft should be updated with the patent
application information. Someone reading the Internet Draft but not
this mailing list would not have known about the patent application.
Of course, the patent application is a very relevant feature of the
proposal.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium