Re: [idn] case folding

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Maurizio Codogno wrote:

| What about saying that the only case folding is [A-Z][a-z], for
| backward compatibility with present DNS?

  Given our general goal of absolutely needing backward compatibility,
this is an important requirement.  The apparent complexity of generalizing
a case-folding scheme that will work in all, or at least enough cases to
warrant its use, points in my mind to avoiding case-folding in future
protocols.

  Perhaps this should come down to two separate issues:  the protocol, and
convention of use.  The protocol should say something like "For backward
compatibility case-folding is supported for names in the character set
supported in the original versions of the proctocol.  Case folding however
is not supported for other character sets."

  The convention of use should then say something like "We recommend that
names be used in the system in lower case form if the associated language
and character set supports such a convention."

  For domains that are generally controlled by a registrar organization it
would be relatively straightforward for the registrar to prevent, or at
least strongly discourage, registration of names that violate this
guideline.  For namespaces that are locally-controlled there's nothing
preventing users from potentially shooting themselves in the foot, but
that's the case today and it wouldn't be any worse than many other
Internet protocols and implementations.

  -brian

--
 Brian W. Spolarich - Ann Arbor, MI - briansp@acm.org - www.acm.org/~briansp/
        "Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for