[Fwd: Re: [idn] Requirements I-D]

RJ Atkinson wrote:
> Its already out of control that folks feel that they have to register
> foo.ORG, foo.COM, and foo.NET just so they can be found by normal users.

[Assuming foo contains a non-ASCII character somewhere]

Well, now the difference is you have to register FOO.COM, Foo.COM, FoO.COM etc
. And of course, to manage this in the zone and config file somehow.

For example,

zone "foo.com" in {
    type primary;
    file "db.foo.com";
    variant "FOO.com" "FOo.com" "FoO.com" "fOO.com" "fOo.com" "foO.com";
}

[named will then fold all variant into foo.com automatically]

And on the parent zone, in this case, .com zonefile, you do

foo    NS     some.name.server.
FOO    DNAME  foo
FOo    DNAME  foo
FoO    DNAME  foo

Is it nice? No. In fact, hell for operations. (I want to see the face of the
people running large zone :-)

But heck, it works.

It can also be optimized if they can reduce it to some algorithm, which make
life less painful for memory usage, by taking up more cpu cycle,

For example,

foo    NS    some.name.server.
       FOLD  { s/I/*/g; tr/[A-Z]/[a-z]/; # * = dotless i }
; In this case, FOLD is not a RR, but some algo use for matching

Therefore, essentially, we can have "per domain" folding algorthim.

Or perhaps more simple,

foo    NS    some.name.server.
       FOLD  tolower+utr21.

bar    NS    some.other.server.
       FOLD  tolower+simplifiedtraditional.

ie, with pre-defined algo.

How fun :-)

-James "playing the devil advocate" Seng