Re: [idn] Requirements I-D

RJ Atkinson wrote:

> - Case-folding needs to be locale-independent because there is no way to
>    communicate "locale" as part of DNS queries.  Alphabetic characters should
>    have a well-defined case folding.  Ideogrammatic characters might not have
>    any case folding, of course.

While I understand your desire to make case-folding locale-independent, I
recommend you consider a couple of issues. 1. Case-folding in a
real-world-language usage sense is _not_ locale independent, which means that 2.
no matter what standard chart of case folding you come up, _including_ the
existing ASCII case-folding, you will leave several languages/locales with
incorrect folding.  In addition to potentially causing problems and confusion in
the domain naming world, it will also serve to annoy people, committees, and
national standards bodies from various parts of the world.

FYI,
Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine@eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
"The complementarity of priority information actions will reinforce