Re: [idn] Comparisons of the proposals

At/À 09:06 2000-03-23 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC you wrote/vous écriviez:

>It is likely that the vast majority of zone files are edited over telnet
>sessions on VT-100 emulators, which will not translate UTF-8 correctly.
>Whatever the WG goes with, whether it is UTF-8 or an ASCII encoding, is
>going to need translation tools for editing the zone files. The
>translation tools for UTF-8 will be easier and more widespread because it
>is a format that is already in use.

no translation tool for utf-8. editors are already available to most recent
environments, unix included: solaris, linux, freebsd, etc.

>Regardless of the tool, the zone administrator is still going to want to
>view the results in a non-ASCII

right.

>  environment to verify that what she or he just typed in looks right.
> Those tools are not widely available today

nope. utf-8 editor will give you right out what you are looking for without
quiting the editor.

So,to be fair, I would say that zone file editing is much more easier in
utf-8 proposals than others: you edit what you want to see, tools are
available and work fine.

But at the same time, zone file editing is not a "protocol", so it is
probably less related to IETF work, even if it is an important
consideration, especially in the deployment of the solution.

Marc.

>(and certainly not available for many characters that we will appear in
>IDN names), but the IDN work will probably cause them to come into
>existence sooner than they might have.
>
>--Paul Hoffman, Director
>--Internet Mail Consortium

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.