Re: [idn] Comparisons of the proposals

Sorry I was absent from this list so long, due to
illness and lots of work.

At 00/03/20 15:56 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

 > When it comes time to add 蔕l.example.com to the example.com zone file,
 > you will be able to do it with any ASCII text editor for CIDNUC and UTF-5;
 > you'll need an editor that can output UTF-8 for 8&down (or you'll need to
 > enter the names in some other encoding into temporary files and then run
 > the temporary files through a pre-processor program).

Sorry, but this doesn't work. Nobody in Europe or Asia wants to use
an ASCII text editor and raw CIDNUC or UTF-5. If you can't imagine
why, try asking yourself whether you would like to edit ASCII files
in octal dump mode.

So the above should be changed to:

UTF-8 for 8&down can be edited in an off-the-shelf editor
(take for example MS Word or emacs/mule). UTF-5 and CIDNUC
need special conversion programs (probably to/from UTF-8)
to make their content editable by humans.

Regards,   Martin.