From: John C Klensin [mailto:klensin@jck.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2000 1:15 PM
To: J. William Semich
Cc: idn@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [idn] host name vs. domain name

--On Saturday, 18 March, 2000 15:44 -0500 "J. William Semich"
<bill@mail.nic.nu> wrote:

> Maybe it would help to create a list of those applications or protocols
> etc. that use the DNS, and prioritize that list by the ease with which
each
> can be made to work with idn.
>
> For example:
>
> 1. Web addresses - simple
> 2. Email - moderately difficult
> 3. Reverse look ups - very difficult
>
> It may turn out that 1. and 2. above meet the primary needs of most for
idn
> on the Internet and we should work on requirements that facilitate idn in
> Web addresses and Email only...

Unfortunately, due partially to pressure from spammers, a significant
fraction of the email on the internet passes through systems that do reverse
lookups as a sanity check.

And, especially in IPv6 environments with its huge and hard-to-write
addresses and "frequent renumbering" assumptions, the number of internet
applications that uses the DNS should be equal to the
number of Internet applications.

   john