Re: [idn] host name vs. domain name

Maybe it would help to create a list of those applications or protocols
etc. that use the DNS, and prioritize that list by the ease with which each
can be made to work with idn.

For example:

1. Web addresses - simple
2. Email - moderately difficult
3. Reverse look ups - very difficult

It may turn out that 1. and 2. above meet the primary needs of most for idn
on the Internet and we should work on requirements that facilitate idn in
Web addresses and Email only...

Bill Semich
.NU Domain

At 03:18 PM 3/18/00 -0500, John C Klensin wrote:
>--On Friday, 17 March, 2000 17:40 -0800 Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
wrote:

>> This issue was touched on during the Apricot series of meetings.
>> While interesting and potentially important, it really begs the issue
>> of what are the -requirements- for an i18n capable DNS, which is
>> the charter of this WG.  Are these things to be considered requirements?
>
>Bill, I think it is up to the WG to determine what it considers
requirements.  For whatever one personal opinion is worth, there is a
meta-requirement that changes to the DNS (or the way it is used)
>break as little as possible of what now works.  I'm not even tempted to
pre-judge whether "as little as possible" must be "zero" or, if it is not,
how much damage/disrepution the community is willing
>to accept.  But it seems to me that lists and discussions of things that
might be broken or impeded by various approaches is quite useful  in
developing requirements and, in the future, evaluating
>alternatives.
>
>Now, of course, if the WG decides that only web addresses (i.e., things
used in URLs) are of importance for internationalization and email
addresses, names of [other types of] hosts, etc., are not of
>concern, then both the list of uses we need to worry about and the
importance of, e.g., reverse mapping issues changes.   I don't see that as
the position of most of the people participating in this
>discussion, but I've certainly seen discussions that seem to imply that
ranking of importance.   But that possible distinction along may be another
reason why it is useful to consider what
>applications and operational approaches might be impacted by changes.
>
>    john

Bill Semich
President and Founder
.NU Domain Ltd