Re: [idn] host name vs. domain name

> Does anyone have actual empirical data for the implications to the existing
> software which expects "host name" subset US-ASCII should that software be
> presented with UTF-8?

I mentioned this once before: as an experiment I sent myself an E-mail message
that contained raw unencoded UTF-8 in the domain part of a route-addr. I used
Sendmail 8.9.3 and UofW imapd 4.5, and verified that the bits were stored and
retrieved correctly. Then I tried to display the message using Netscape
Communicator 4.7, using IMAP. Communicator core dumped.

Not a representative sample, of course, but I suspect it's not atypical. I'd
encourage other people to try the same thing with their favorite clients.

<csg>