Re: [idn] host name vs. domain name

Hi David,

I concur with your assessment of the working group objectives - however
what I was trying to suggest is that the distinction between a "host
name" and a "domain name" should not be a main point of contention as it
would only seem as if any argument solely along those lines were merely
playing on semantics. More credit should be given towards the essence of
a suggestion rather than to nit-pick on the usage of words.

Can it be safe to assume, if I may suggest, that any reference to
internationalization of domain names amongst discussion here probably
refers to internationalization of "host names" instead?

It is unfortunate that the two terms have become such an issue. Whatever
it is, if a term is used wrongly, perhaps we should just s/[Wrong
term]/[Correct term]/g and move on. There are better things to do. I
agree that there is a difference, the difference is important (in
syntax) and we should all use correct terms (ideally). But only the
people actually writing and editing proper technical documentation need
be painfully aware of it. For the rest of us who just want to contribute
it is probably not so vital.

My humble opinion.

Maynard