RE: [idn] IDN priorities and requirements

At 08:34 AM 2/28/00 -0800, Larry Masinter wrote:
> > host names
>
>I was claiming that most users don't see "host names" outside
>of the context of URLs and email addresses. Do you mean in
>response to the Unix command 'hostname'? Or some other context?

Many other contexts come to mind:
- When setting up your PC, you have to enter the domain name of your SMTP
server, your Web proxy, and so on.
- When using FTP clients, you enter domain names instead of ftp: URLs.
- When using command-line interfaces (still the most common thing for
system administrators), you enter host names in a zillion places.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium