RE: [idn] Normalisation and ASCII fallbacks

> Stepping back from the details a bit, I'd like to recast
> some of this discussion in terms of requirements language.
>
> Would there be agreement that, in the DNS context,
> 	- some normalisation form is needed ?

Yes.

> 	- a single normalisation form is preferable to having several ?

A normalisation form is needed for matching requests to what is in the
database.  There should be only one form for this function.

I suspect that another (less restrictive) normalisation form might be needed
to specify which characters can be represented in a zone.

[For example a protocol might use UTR21 + UTR15 form KC when matching and
UTR15 form C to specify what can be added to the zone].

> 	- The IETF should avoid inventing a new normalisation form,
> 		provided a technically sufficient one can be identified
> 		elsewhere (e.g. in an ISO standard) ?

Yes.

    Andy