Re: [idn] IDNs and email

At 09:15 AM 2/15/00 -0800, ned.freed@innosoft.com wrote:
> > | If an encoding is used which is not mapped into ASCII then there SHOULD
> > | be an ASCII-only representation of each IDN, and there MUST be a way for
> > | a program to find the ASCII-only representation (or lack of it) for an
> > | IDN.
>
>Nicely put. I agree completely.

There are two issues here: ASCII and DNS-compatible names. Protocols like
SMTP and PKIX require ASCII, but there may be protocols that define
DNS-strings to single-case letters plus digits plus '-' only. If such
protocols exist (and I don't know that they do, but I wouldn't be
surprised), do we want to accommodate those as well?

>I think we are in substantial agreement here. I certainly support adding
>the requirement you described above to the IDN requirements list.

Agree.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium