Re: [idn] RE: An idn protocolfor consideration in making therequirements

> > Now suppose we ask the DNS operations folks how long it will
> > reasonably take for the necessary software to deploy to any
> > significant degree, keeping in mind that we're dealing with a
> > critical infrastructure component provided by folks who have a lot
> > on their plate besides internationalization. I'm not a DNS
> > operations person, but I would not be totally amazed if the answer
> > that comes back is most conveniently expressed in units of decades.
> >
> > So the bottom line is how do you feel about a solution that is purer
> > and nicer and has some real attractiveness long term, but which you
> > won't see significant benefit from for many, many years? What is
> > your choice then?

> Upgrade of authorative nameservers:

> The software of your own nameservers as well as the nameservers of
> your parent zones need to be upgraded. It won't take long before the
> software of rootservers and TLD-servers is upgraded. People with
> second level domains who delegate third levels domains to others (who
> might want international domains) will most likely upgrade pretty fast
> as well. (If they don't, I strongly suggest using another third level
> domain or a second level domain.)

> Upgrade of resolvers/caching nameservers:

> This is where it might take some time before software is upgraded. But
> not upgrading will not cause trouble for others. If these people want
> to be able to benefit from international domains they upgrade. If they
> choose not to, well then let them.

> Thus, I don't think DNS software is much of a problem with an 8 bit
> approach. We will see significant benefit fast enough. I will upgrade
> my own resolver software and nameserver software. The nameservers for
> domains with international characters and their parent zone
> nameservers will be upgraded. That's all that is needed.

I don't have sufficient experience with DNS deployment to know for sure,
but this sounds unbelievably optimistic to me. Your analysis of the email
situation certainly is -- and that's an area where I do have the substantial
experience.

				Ned