RE: [idn] Re: An idn protocol for consideration in making the req uirements

Title: RE: [idn] Re: An idn protocol for consideration in making the req uirements

> From: Carl S. Gutekunst [mailto:carl.gutekunst@eng.sun.com]
> ESMTP and 8BITMIME only apply to the body of a message.

I know.  Well, ESMTP/8BIT does.  There could be an ESMTP/UTF8HEADERS
(or similar) extension in the future, IIUC.  But that is for e-mail only.

> > I'd much rather have some temporary problems with UTF-8 than have
> > permanent problems with something that reencodes non-ASCII into ASCII.
>
> Being one who implements Q-P to 8bit "upgrading" on all my mail servers, I
> symphathize. But these would be pretty darn big temporary problems.

Most likely overcomable.

> So what you are proposing is exposing transitional end users
> to ugly addresses that aren't replyable, forcing them to cut and paste a
> replyable address from somewhere else.

Yes. Not too uncommon even now; some have nnn-nospam@mmmm, e.g., or
a different "reply-to" address.

> The alternative is to expose transitional end users to ugly
> addresses, but the "reply" button still works just fine.

...but the address one would reply to would be incomprehensible
giberrish to that user (and anyone else not having that very
narrow application field converter).  Then at least I would be
very careful NOT to send that e-mail at all...

                Kind regards
                /kent k