Re: [idn] My draft for internationalisation of DNS

At 15:47 00/02/08 +0100, Dan Oscarsson wrote:

> Ok. The document on the differences between form C and KC was
> not that easy to read. I thought the idea was to remove the look a like
> glyphs, among other things, but that is apparently wrong.
>
> So what do you think? Is it better to user form C, and remove
> difficulties by excluding them from the repertoire?

For the compatibility area, covered by KC, it's a one-by-one
work. Some things are easy to eliminate by just forbidding some
codepoints, others (smilies,...) might not be worth worrying
one way or the other (although of course in the end we have
to decide), others may need some detail work, e.g. a reference
to KC (but I don't know any specific examples for these yet).

> Kent Karlsson wrote one draft about what ought to be allowed.
> Maybe the combined knowledge of you Martin and Kent could help
> me (all of us) to define what is suitable to be used in domain names?

Well, yes. One thing I think we could discuss now is to what
extent we want to allow all kinds of symbols (e.g. Zodiac,
Smilies, and so on). This is an area where everybody can
contribute, I guess. For those who don't have a Unicode book
handy, see e.g.
http://charts.unicode.org/Unicode.charts/normal/U2600.html.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org