RE: [idn] RE: An idn protocol for consideration in making the re quirements

At 13:13 04-02-00 , Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:

> > > I agree with Kent on this. UTF-8 is it.
> >
> > Let's get done with the requirement
>
>I would like to have as a REQUIREMENT that IDN does NOT
>invent its own encoding, but uses one that is, or is
>expected to be, used just about everyhere else too.

Hmm.  Agree that IDN ought not invent its own
new encoding.  We should prefer to use an existing
standards-based encoding.

>Yes, that disqualifies BASE32, BASE64, QP, UTF-7, ...
>But that's the point.  Using an encoding that is not
>used in many other places is highly problematic, and
>may have ill consequences for decades to come. QP
>has shown us that, in case it is not obvious.

Your first statement does not disqualify either BASE64 or QP.
Both of those are widely used and standard.  They might not
be appropriate choices in this situation, but they don't violate
your requirement as you have stated it above.

Ran