Re: [idn] RE: An idn protocol for consideration in making the requirements

I agree with Kent on this. UTF-8 is it.

Bill Semich

At 08:18 PM 2/3/00 +0100, Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:

> [...]

Oh, no! Not Q-P/BASE64/UTF-7 all over again. Fortunately UTF-7 never
became popular, but Q-P still haunts us after a decade. For my part,
I will not support any new/special/extra encoding for IDN.

Can we please learn from past mistakes and NOT do a "Q-P" blunder again.

UTF-8 as-is is backwards compatible with ASCII. Is there any specific
reason to beleive that any DNS equipment (software) that is not ONLY
collecting dust would misbehave badly because of UTF-8 (beyond "not found",
which may be tolarable for a while)?

Kind regards
/kent k

<<<<