Re: My thoughts so far

At 07:47 01.02.00 +0000, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> >But DNS must be able to represent both upper and lower case
> >in its database and in the protocol. This is because case is
> >important from some in presentation. An example is a lookup
> >translating IP-numer to domain name. The domain name should
> >have the original case entered into the database returned.
>
>Disagree with the example.  If one agrees to case insensitivity,
>one can't reasonably require the example above to work as
>described above.

I'm not sure - I would think that it was reasonable that if someone asked
for a PTR record for 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa, the bytes entered into the
database by the administrator of the 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa zone would be returned.

I would indeed be a bit surprised if it was otherwise.

                                Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no