=?utf-8?B?SGVyaXRhZ2Ugb2Ygw4XDhMOWICh3YXMgUkU6IENoaW5hKQ==?=

(Yes this as an e-mail in UTF-8.  Sorry, Martin.
Let's see how well the archive handles UTF-8 e-mails... ;-)

Well, to be fair, there is a 500 years or so history to this.

Ä used to be written as AE (IIUC), then Æ, then A with a little e on top,
then Ä.  The story for Ö is similar (OE, Œ, O with a litte e on top, Ö);
though in Denmark it ended up in Ø instead.  For Å, IIUC, first AO, then A
with a little o on top; though in Denmark it, for some reason, was AA.

So in that perspective, ASCII was a 500 year setback for us ;-).

		Kind regards
		/Kent Karlsson