RE: China

At 20:26 27.01.00 +0100, C C Magnus Gustavsson wrote:

>It just a sort of "encoding convention" for ASCII, like QP. Nothing more.
>The only reason that "ae" is used for a-umlaut rather than just "a" is
>to avoid conflicts with other words. In Swedish, for example, "bar" is a
>word but there are no words with "ae", i e "baer".

the funniest convention failure I know of is "dør" in Norwegian (meaning
"door"); if you apply the "ø" -> "oe" mapping, it becomes "doer", meaning
"toilets".
(ø = o with slash. I'm going to continue sending examples in Latin-1 as
long as my MIME mail headers are being set correctly.)

                   Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no