Re: An argument against multiple character sets

At 11:10 00/01/27 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> At 10:51 PM 1/27/00 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
> >I agree that far. But I think we have not only to say that we
> >have to deal with more than casing, we also have to say
> >what we think should be done (at least from an user perspective)
> >in each case.
>
> Then we are in agreement fully. I believe that the list must include at
> least casing

So you agree that we should require case-folding, at some point?
Or only that we have to make a decision for casing?

> and combining marks that look similar in typical glyphs (`, ',
> and _ come to mind).

Sorry, but you can't throw e.g. e-acute and e-grave into the same
equivalence class. The resulting system would be useless for French.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org