Re: China

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Fred Baker wrote:

> In
> German, a "u" with an umlaut over it is equivalent to a "u" followed by
> an umlaut extender, and also to the character string "ue".

I very much doubt that. I think the German case is exactly the same as the
Swedish, and in Swedish "a" with umlaut is not equivalent to "ae", not
more than "w" and "vv" had been if "w" hadn't been part of ASCII.

It's just a common convention (a rather ugly one, born in the ASCII age)
to be able to express a non-ASCII character when all you have is ASCII.

/Magnus