Re: An argument against multiple character sets

--On 2000-01-27 12.39 +0900, "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org> wrote:

> The Unicode standard defines that these
> are all exactly equivalent (canonically equivalent).
> The user won't be able to distinguish them.

Correct, but these equivalency tables of Unicode is a solution to the
problem we should talk about in the requitements.

What I hear is that we somewhere must have equivalence tables, regardless
of what charset we are using. With equivalence I count both what in Unicode
is the composition rules and more "traditional" case folding (which also is
defined in Unicode).

I also claim that these rules have to be descided and not changed, as
changing these will have impact on the set of registered domain names.

   paf