Re: Matching and comparison

"Martin J. Duerst" wrote:
> I don't think an implementer of a DNS front-end should have to
> care about this. This is an operating system/window system issue.

I agreed. I dont think it is up to this WG to decide how to input and render
the fonts and glyphs.

> On a Mac, you can easily install all kinds of input methods.
> MS Windows comes with a lot of keyboards already available,
> thought at the moment installing a Japanese inpup method
> on an US MS Windows system is difficult or impossible as
> far as I know. But that will change rather soon.

Try http://www.njstar.com/
Come with SJIS, EUC-JP and UTF-8 input method for Japanese.
You can input even if you do not know Japanese by radical lookup.

I am still looking for the cool one I saw on Japanese system where it can do
fuzzy match and you just 'draw' the glyph.

> The above is not given to say: That's what people should do.
> Just to the contrary. I don't think it's part of any IDNS
> project to teach Americans Hiragana, or to teach Japanese
> Arabic. What we want is to make sure that Japanese (and
> people familliar with Japanese) can use Japanese domain names,
> and so on.

Agreed. It is really beyond the WG too.

> What do you want to specify in an IDNS protocol?
> Wouldn't saying 'behave as specified or implied by
> ISO 10646/Unicode' be enough?

I would hate to refer back to any character set even if it is Unicode.

> I wouldn't make 'apply canonical normalization' a requirement.
> if you want the relevant requirements, I suggest we take them
> from http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-charreq, section 2 and 3
> (or just point to them). That were, indirectly, the requirements
> for canonical normalization.

-James Seng