Re: Matching and comparison

Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> By tagging internationalized names. This is now moving from requirements to
> protocol. But it would be easy to do in a backwards compatible way for some
> protocols.

In a casual conversation with Paul Vixie last year, he suggested we can
consider introducing a new RCODE in the DNS packet to 'tag' it as a
multilingual request. This will differential it from the the normal request.

It is an idea which the implementor can consider when they do their
implementation altho it certainly does not make sense to introduce it in the
requirement document.

This brings me to a point which no one seem to discuss. Should we allow
modification to RFC1035? If yes, what are the requirements?

> Wrong question: mycompany.com isn't internationalized. The question should
> by "Does it make sense to have Dürst.com be different than dürst.com?" I
> believe it does if it doesn't affect the case-insensitivity of any
> non-internationalized names.

If canonialisation is not done, then

Dürst.com	IN	DNAME	dürst.com
DüRst.com	IN	DNAME	dürst.com