RE: alpha draft requirement

I think this is a fairly good basis for a requirements document.

You seem to have lost one of the requirements I suggested:

"An IDN capable resolver SHOULD NOT generate any more traffic for each
request (for both IDN
and pure ASCII names) than a non IDN capable resolver.  This also applies to
the resolver part of a DNS server providing recursion."

I'm sure this loss was accidental.  If not then here is my justification:

People are always threatening DNS meltdown.  If we specify a protocol which
increases the amount of DNS traffic we won't be thanked.

Of course, if it is not possible to specify a protocol which uses the same
amount of traffic then some increase is inevitable, however I suspect that
some ISPs (for example) in english (only) speaking countries will be
deterred from upgrading to a new version of their DNS software if it
produces no benefits for them (since they use only ASCII), but generates
twice as much traffic.

    Andy