Re: Fwd: Eeek - .NU Domains using $B%h(J, $B%H(J , $B%J(J, $B%o(J, $B%`(J - And More

At 15:11 00/01/07 +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> At 21:42 07.01.00 +0800, James Seng wrote:
> >Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> > > And of course all these are incompatible, right?
> > > I know the .NU stuff is incompatible with the iDNS stuff.
> >
> >Actually, to be exact, they are compatible with iDNS stuff because Bill Semich
> >is using iDNS system.
>
> Not quite - Bill's stuff is releasing 8859-1 to unknown resolvers, which
> UTF-5 was designed to avoid.
>
> >  In anycase, these are out of topic here :-) What happened to the requirement
> >discussion?
>
> Me too! SOMEONE apart from Marc, James, Rob and me must have opinions!

Well, I did :-). But anyway, I think there has been quite a bit
of discussion, and it may make sense to try and wrap that up in
a first draft of the req doc, and then go from there.

What I haven't seen discussed much yet in terms of requirements
is how much we want to include or exclude combinations of
ASCII-only labels and i18n labels. I seem to remember that
on some list, somebody from China said that this is not
needed (i.e. a full domain name is either all in ASCII or
all in Hanzi), but I think that for languages written with
Latin letters, such mixing is clearly necessary. What do
others think?

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org