Re: My prod at IDN requirements

At 16:08 00/01/04 +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> We might end up with a requirement that if ISO 10646 is used, it's possible
> to deduce the language of a DNS tag, which I would find deeply troubling,
> but if that's agreed to be a requirement, that's a requirement.

I would find that deeply troubling, too. That would mean that
dns names cannot be reliably transferred in print, because print
doesn't show you the language. It would even be confusing for
a lot of CJK cases, because for many cases, it is not possible
to guess the language from the character variants used.
(that's the main reason for unification, anyway).

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org