Re: My prod at IDN requirements

At 17:23 00/01/04 +0800, James Seng wrote:
> "Martin J. Duerst" wrote:
> > Who would want to register this? If put anywhere in print,
>
> If I am a chinese in korea, i may want to name my machine in chinese altho my
> company may have a korean domain names in a english tld. it is crazy, and
> probably useless but i think it is not up to the technology to judge what can
> be done and what should be done.

Just a moment. There are two different problems:

1) What combinations of letters to use in a single label.
2) What labels should be combined to a DNS name.

For 2), it is clear that there should be no technical restrictions.
But I guess we should be careful; I could imagine that if you work
for a Korean company in Korea, the system administrator may not
allow you to name your machine with e.g. Thai or Arabic (Chinese
is a bit of a special case because Koreans use Chinese characters,
although rather rarely).

For 1), we have to discuss details. The example that Harald Alvestrand
has mentionned uses ASCII O against Greek Omicron, which both may
look exactly the same. Forbidding combinations of e.g. Greek Omicron
with ASCII in the same label won't restrict the expressiveness for
anybody.

> > Which then means that if we want case folding for the user, case
> > folding has to be done on the client side. But for the moment, it
> > mainly means that for each such requirement, we have to make clear
> > where it applies (user or server). And probably, most such requirements
> > should at the moment be seen from the user side.
>
> This brings us to the issues that should requirement make it clear distinction
> on what is done on the client and what is done on the server?

Not really at this stage. We should be clear what requirements apply
to the server side, and what requirements are user requirements.
Later, we can use that to figure out how to distribute things
among servers and clients.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org